Saturday, November 03, 2007

Google

We have a saying in this house... "Google is your friend." Mostly it's directed at kids who ask questions (I'm trying to teach the use of reference materials for self-sufficiency). I myself use Google so much that I've made it my homepage. I use Google news like a maniac because I appreciate the ability to look at multiple news outlet's takes on any given story.

I have heard that Google has left wing bias. I haven't noted anything too overt in this regard for whatever algorithm they use on their news page but I have seen some nonsensical match ups of photos and news stories. For example, a health article related to teenagers with sexually transmitted diseases once was accompanied by a close-up picture of male genitalia. Full frontal. I figured it was the work of some pimply teenaged hacker.

This morning I was scanning the headlines (Pakistan's "state of emergency" -- whoa!). There was a headline about Bush's Attorney General nominee, Michael Mukasey. Note the accompanying picture on this one:

In case it's hard to make out the picture, that's the famous "thumbs up" pic from Abu Ghraib. Accidental or on purpose? Seems kinds of suspicious to me. What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home