Sunday, August 26, 2007

Obama And The Forgotten City

Whether you like Obama or not, you have to admit that he's not afraid to put himself out there. Where other candidates spin vague, bland, "can't be used against me later" descriptions of opinions they may or may not hold tomorrow, Obama states not only his opinions but also his plans. I'm not sure why more people don't have a better appreciation for how rare and remarkable that is in this day of careful triangulation.

You can read Obama's plans for New Orleans or a number of other issues here (follow the site links).

I find it interesting that his latest position paper addresses the forgotten city of New Orleans. I suppose it could be an attempt to court the black vote (still overwhelmingly going to Hillary) but this is a topic that everyone -- and I do mean everyone -- has avoided for two years. I find it phenomenal that a whole American city sits in ruins with barely a mention. And not just any city, but some pretty important coastal real estate. Whether it can or should be saved may require some discussion... so why aren't we having one?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home