Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Fox Knows The Truth, So You Don't Have To

I was flipping through the TV news channels this morning when I heard one of the guys on Fox and Friends confidently asserting that the 5 Iranian diplomats we took from Arbil were caught with a weapons cache or were selling arms, etc (I paraphrase but it was definitely something nefarious and they were really really guilty, for real).

Whoa -- Was I sleeping through that reporting cycle? I remember news reports of arrests lacking any definitive account of why, and I remember wondering what kind of relationship Iran has with the Kurds, in general, and I remember wondering what business Iran would want to conduct with the Kurds, exclusively, diplomatic or otherwise (the Iranians were supposedly guests of the Kurds). What I don't remember is hearing/reading anything conclusive about what prompted the raid, or what the Iranians were accused of (specifically) before they were extradited to a secret location outside of the US or Iraq for tor interrogation. I did a quick news google to see what I missed and found... no conclusive statements.

I'm not saying that the 5 Iranians weren't doing evil stuff, I'm just saying I can't figure out what it was. If they had been caught in the south, one could reasonably conclude that they were doing business with the Shia or their militias. But in the relatively secure, northern Kurdish region? It doesn't make sense to me.

So what up, Fox and Friends guy? Are you holding out on us? Or is this just more of the clownish "news" you people provide, such as five minutes earlier when you were reporting about the guy with tuberculosis being held against his will. One of you said it was illegal, the other said it was legal, and then the Fox and Friends woman said she was sure someone would research it. And then there was some highly intellectual discussion about whether he had to be in jail or if they couldn't just keep him in a bubble somewhere. Finally, out of nowhere, a blond voice of reason clarified things for our Fox and Friends trio by pointing out that the real issue was that they had essentially put the guy in solitary confinement without a TV, phone, or computer. It was like our blond hero had applied a cool salve to their white hot brains. I'm sure the five of us were equally relieved when the segment was finally over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home