Saturday, November 11, 2006

Kirsten


A gratuitous picture of Kirsten because I realized I haven't posted any of her yet. My poetress. Here's a few snippets of something she's working on for this year's Poetry Slam at the school. It's more fun to hear her recite it in the sing-song slam rhythm she's infused it with but it's pretty good this way, too.
"It bothers me that you're all so willing to conform
and turn into zombies to suit the government's ways
Talking through a cell phone with god knows who listening
'cause the little green men they claim don't exist
are cupping their ears to hear something more than the president's false words."
and
"How can we still call ourselves a democracy
because when I attempt to voice my opinion
my words only get lost in some voting booth down in Florida
where the votes were counted I swear
and the dumb ass in office has a right to be there."
I totally enjoy this kid more every day.

p.s. Of all the topics that rile me, the debacle of the 2000 election is not one I've dwelled on -- she picked that one up all on her own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home