Friday, September 08, 2006

Hypocrisy

While the media/rightwing outrage over the Lieberman primary defeat begins to subside, I am still hearing nothing but the sound of crickets chirping around the primary campaign of moderate Republican Lincoln Chafee. His challenger is ultra-conservative Steven Laffey, running on the traditional God, Gays, Guns, & Taxes platform. The Rhode Island Republican primary is September 12th.

I would, of course, be lying if I said my interest in the race wasn't mostly about the strange (yet strangely predictable) hypocrisy of those conservatives/media operatives who fussed and fumed about Lieberman and the wild-eyed radical liberals who unseated him from the Democratic Party. Poor moderate Republican Lincoln Chafee... the target of an attempted coup by a bunch of wild-eyed radical conservatives in the Republican party who think he's voted like a Democrat just a few too many times.

I suppose the media may perhaps give one small nod of acknowledgement to the race now that it's crossed paths with the Bolton confirmation (recently delayed at Chafee's request). I'll say the same thing I said earlier about the Lieberman defeat: It's the voters' prerogative. Welcome to democracy in action.

P.S.
Although the Bolton appointment deserves its very own post, I do want to point out this rather memorable Chafee-Bolton exchange, blogged here by Steve Clemons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home