Thursday, October 23, 2008

Local Election Thoughts

  • In light of the "ACORN dramz vs systematic voter rolls purge" game, I wonder if it's a good idea to encourage people to vote early (both Dems and Repubs). I voted early in 2004 due to travel plans and it went very smoothly. That way if anyone should encounter any issues, at least they'll have time to cast a provisional ballot.
  • As usual, I'm struggling a little with my State Rep vote. I will probably end up voting for Manzullo again despite the fact that I can barely stomach his social positions and rhetoric. In the end I favor him because his longevity has given him clout, and clout means favor for my district. Same with Winters. Let's face it, with what's looming ahead for local municipalities, we can use a little clout. Show me the money!
  • I'm taking a closer look at Democratic county board candidate Paul Gorski merely for the fact that he has picked up on the county's atrocious zoning behaviors and is making it an issue. Zoning has become my local hot button issue. His take on funding golf courses through usage fees instead of property taxes also appeals to my common sense.
  • Mental note to ask my mom about the States Attorney race... I may have to defer to her opinion on this as I have no freakin' clue. 17th Circuit will be Fernando Engelsma and... Mom, help?
  • I'm voting against the concealed weapon carry. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I just know I'll be out some night shooting pool, having a few drinks, and manage to spill a beer on the angry drunk guy carrying a gun under his jacket. So... no. Or as Jeff would say, oh hell no...
  • Remember: If offered a choice, go with paper ballots!!! As someone who has spent the past 15 years in information technology, you're going to have to trust me here -- sometimes good old fashioned paper really is better. There are two basic problems with computers... 1) they break, and 2) they can be programmed. Seriously. Stay away from the electronic ballot machines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home