Friday, October 17, 2008

Atrios Makes A Point

If you moved, would you remember to contact your elections board and ask to be removed from the voter rolls? It has never even occurred to me to do that. I mean, when I get to wherever I'm going it has eventually dawned on me to register anew but there's no way I would think to have myself removed from the old roll. In fact, now I wonder if I'm doubled registered anywhere?

Atrios makes the point:
A lot of Democrats in this state now, though I really want to flag this sentence for a hint of what's to come.
In Philadelphia, the number of registrants, 1.1 million, actually exceeds the census count of the eligible population. The city has identified 58,000 "duplicate" registrations, and the actual number of eligible voters on the rolls is probably closer to a million, said the election board's Bob Lee.
They trotted this one out in '04, too. Since the media (not this article, really, but generally) has decided that playing stupid on these issues is the right way to go, let me offer a wee rebuttal of the inevitable. When people move, most do not bother to contact their local elections board and ask to be removed from the voter rolls. When people die, most do not bother to contact their local elections board and ask to be removed from the voter rolls. Philadelphia has about 10 trillion polling places, and if you move 50 feet in this city you likely end up having to renew your voter registration. Philadelphia also has a lot of old people who sadly occasionally die.
Note to my kin: If I die, please remember to purge me from the voter rolls to prevent my good name being sullied by fraudulent registration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home