Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Business Ethics For Everyone!

This struck me as rather provocative when I read it. But... why the hell not??

I cannot tell you how many times in the past eight years I have seen my company do morally questionable things in the name of corporate business. As a manager, I wish I had a nickel for the number of times I've heard one of the following:
"The needs of the business demand that we [insert employee, customer, or environmental abuse here]."

"We owe it to our shareholders to [insert employee, customer, or environmental abuse here]."
"Corporate business" doesn't acknowledge human attributes like morality or ethics or decency, and it certainly is not held accountable to work within those boundaries. Instead, "business" is governed by law and regulation, and, most of the time, it abides the least amount of either it can possibly get away with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home