Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Giuliani's Guardian Angel?

Scary, if true.

Judith Regan, the book publisher who was fired by the News Corporation last year, asserts in a lawsuit filed today that a senior executive at the media conglomerate encouraged her to mislead federal investigators about her relationship with Bernard B. Kerik during his bid to become homeland security secretary in late 2004.

The lawsuit asserts that the News Corporation executive wanted to protect the presidential aspirations of former Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani, Mr. Kerik’s mentor, who had appointed him New York City police commissioner and had recommended him for the federal post.

The obvious question here is, why is News Corp so invested in Giuliani? And why were they so invested in his presidential viability all the way back in 2004? I admit I have not really understood Giuliani's appeal as a presidential candidate but until now I've been a casual and dispassionate observer of his campaign. He's definitely popped up on my radar with this.

Smoking Gun has the lawsuit docs here.

I have never been comfortable with the size of these crazy media conglomerations. Especially News Corp, the largest of the bunch, which owns Fox News and has a list of other holdings that's longer than my arm. The ability to control information (and access to information, it seems) has got to be the ultimate power play.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poop. Just when I thought I was starting to like Giuliani, you have to ruin it?

Let me get this right....you are ok with Obama doing illegal drugs in his past...but Giuliani is bad because he has a 'driver' that was doing illegal things. Hmmmm.

6:31 AM, November 25, 2007  
Blogger Logic101 said...

Well hello there -- Glad to see you back!

Actually, Bernard Kerik isn't so much an issue for me... I am far more interested in what News Corp (and Fox News, by extension) is bringing to Giuliani's table. That News Corp would go far as to try tampering with an investigation of Kerik for fear it would impact the future political ambitions of Rudy seems kind of strange, doesn't it?

And no, Obama's prior illegal drug use doesn't bother me in the slightest. Does it bother you?

p.s. I saw this comment today quite by accident... normally I don't have any reason to scroll too far backwards through the blog. I found it when I was looking for something else I'd written a while ago. Just wanted to let you know in case I've missed anything in the past, it's not on purpose!!

2:35 PM, November 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After pondering your "Obamaisms", I understand why you are excited about him over the other candidates in small part due to his honesty. He hasn't changed course to appease the local constituents (Hillary Clinton).

Honestly, I AM bothered by the Kerik-Guliani cronyism/ethical much more than I let on in my prior post. I was not astutue enough to notice your true intent of the post, which is not suprising....News Corp believe that Guliani is the best bet to beat the beast (or the other B word that you feel apt to use).

3:56 PM, November 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home