Friday, December 15, 2006

Guns in Schools

I read stuff like this from Insty and I can't help but roll my eyes, cringe, and sigh -- in that order.

I don't have a problem with gun ownership in general (although I do dislike the idea of concealed weapons -- somehow I just know I'd be one of those unfortunate souls who'd accidentally spill a beer on an angry, gun-toten' drunk guy in a bar).

But I really have a problem with the twisted and disingenuous logic that guns in the home (or school) are great deterrents to crime. Sure, every once in a while you hear about some intruder getting shot by a gun owning homeowner and a great cry rings out through the universe, "See! Guns are necessary to protect your home and family!" But statistically that doesn't wash. Many more people are killed every year by guns in the home as the result of an accident or a hot-headed argument than are killed as an act of self-defense.

Think of it this way: I have lived in my own home for 20 years. Number of days my home has been broken into: 0. Number of days that I've had my kids and/or their friends in my home: 6,570. Go ahead and calculate the odds and tell me if my family is safer with a gun or without one.

Not that I have a problem with other people owning guns -- just don't use bullshit logic to try to sell me on how they're going to make my world safer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home